Quote of the Day

"In some parts of the world, students are going to school every day. It's their normal life. But in other part of the world, we are starving for education... it's like a precious gift. It's like a diamond."
-Malala Yousafzai


Wednesday 27 May 2015

The Future of the Internet


"The Internet is becoming the town square for the global village of tomorrow."
-Bill Gates



What will become obsolete in the future? 


As I look upon my desk I see how many devices I own that connect to the internet and that is only in my room. What about my house? I decided to take an inventory of all the devices that I have in my house that connect to the internet. I am an only child who lives with their parents in the west end, I have always had technology surrounding me and I took it for granted.

Devices that Connect to the Internet in my Home:
  • 4 laptops
  • 3 tablets
  • 3 smartphones
  • 2 apple tv devices
  • 2 cameras that connect to wifi
  • 1 desktop computer
  • 2 printers that connect through wifi
This appears to be a lot of devices that connect to the internet but there could be so many more such as; a thermostat that can be controlled through your phone, lights, garage doors, house locks, window coverings, and even a refrigerator. So what devices do I have in my house currently that will become obsolete in the future?  

1. A home phone

I believe that very soon having a home phone will be a thing of the past. Every member of my family has a cell phone and the only calls we receive on our home phone/landline are from telemarketers. The only issue that arises is that we don't have another means to connect to the Internet other than the telephone line.

2. Desktop Computers

I believe that the lack of portability will render most desktop computers obsolete for the average consumer. I'm sure they will still be used for busnises and gamers and for some other reasons but the closest I will come to a desktop computer will be a monitor I can plug my laptop into. 

3. Satellite TV Receivers


If there were one thing that costs a lot and is never used in my house that would be our satellite television subscription. Ever since we purchesed apple TV we no longer watch satellite TV, it is much more convenient to stream content. As streaming services increase in popularity the number of people watching regular television goes down. I know for a fact that when I move out there is no way I'm going to pay for a monthly television subscription when I can stream everything I need, and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one in my generation to feel the same way. 

The Internet in 10 Years

In ten years time I think that the Internet will be very much the same as it is today, I think there will be an emphasis on social networking, community building and information. What I think is going to change are the devices in which we access the internet on, such as smart watches and cell phones, as these things develop so too will the internet change in order to accommodate our rapid and ever present desire to be constantly connected online.





No comments:

Post a Comment